Dr. Sean Strain offers complete dental care for your horse. After 11 years of practicing veterinary medicine and realizing that there were so many fundamentals that his journey as a veterinarian did not teach him, in 2013 he decided to attend the Academy of Equine Dentistry. Dr. Strain completed and graduated from the program in February 2014. At that time, he also certified with the International Academy of Equine Dentistry (IAED).
Since November, 2016, he has been the head veterinarian for the Academy of Equine Dentistry and subsequently attends the school in February, July and November for 10-day instructional periods.
He specializes in all aspects of equine dentistry from preventative care, routine equilibration, and advanced dental surgeries. While also keeping in mind the importance of recommending the holistic approaches (chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, and cold therapy laser) as adjunctive treatments in preventing or treating current issues of the temporal mandibular joint (TMJ) and musculature surrounding the area in question.
Please feel free to contact the office if one of the professionals we work with recommended referral for dentistry/equilibration for your horse.
Our clinic is fully equipped to handle even the most complex cases. We routinely use digital radiographs and ridged oral endoscopy for advanced cases.
Dr. Strain has worked with many referring veterinarians and equine dental practitioners (EDP) regarding minimally invasive oral surgeries and extractions. All standing procedures are performed using local nerve blocks and regional anesthesia. We invite you to call or email us to discuss your horses’ dental condition.
- Equine oral exams
- Dental equilibration and floating
- Pre-purchase oral exams
- Corrective work on wave mouths, step mouths, shear mouths, hooks, ramps, periodontal disease, parrot mouths/overbites, and all other equine dental malocclusions
- EOTRH (Equine Odontoclastic Tooth Resorption and Hypercementosis) treatment
- Minimally invasive trans-buccal extractions
- Intra-oral extractions
- Standing minimally invasive surgical repulsion of teeth that cannot be extracted orally
- Minimally invasive intra-oral sectioning of cheek teeth
- Digital radiographs of all teeth and equine skull/head
- Standing repair of fractured jaws
- Geriatric dentistry
- Treatments for dental related sinusitis
- Minimally invasive sinus surgery
- Periodontal treatments
For further information please see Dentistry 101 under Client Education or click the link below: